Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My Homemade Halloween Costume

This Halloween I am going to be Leela from one of my favorite shows, Futurama. These are the pieces I used to make up the costume: A mask, a wristband, a white tank top, some Underarmour leggings, my snowboarding boots, and some neon purple hairspray. Most of these items I had around the house, but in all it cost me about $15.

Here are some tools you'll need to get started:
- Light sandpaper
- Scissors
- Hot Glue
First I created the armband out of:
- A tennis ball container
- Two felt circles
- Silver spray paint
- And, some blue painters tape

I cut the tennis ball tube to be about five inches long. With blue painters tape, I covered the area of the tube that I didn't want to be painted.  Lightly sanded the outside of the tube, and applied two light coats of paint. After it was dry, I removed the tape and put it on the inside of the tube so that the blue color showed through. Then, I cut two pieces of black felt and glued them to the surface of the tube. Finally, I cut a seem up the back of the wrist band, so I could squeeze it to adjust the size and tightness.

Next, I created the mask with:
- A plastic mask with an elastic band
- Purple wire
- White tulle
- Black felt

I trimmed the mask around the nose and eyes, so I could see and my nose was still visible with the mask on. Then, I wrapped white tool around the mask twice and secured it with hot glue on the bridge of the mask's nose. Cutting the purple wire to even lengths, I evenly spaced and secured them with hot glue; bending them a little for an eyelash effect. Finally, I cut a large black circle and hot glued it snugly to the front of the nose.

TIP: Glue down the edges of the circles near the inner corners of the eye holes, this will help with visibility.

This is an inexpensive costume and it's a lot of fun to wear. Share your homemade Halloween costume at Mind Ruffle's Facebook Page


No comments:

Post a Comment